The archaeologically recognized Recent Period on the Island is comprised of the most recent precontact First Nations groups on the island. This period is made up of three archaeologically recognized cultural complexes that archaeologists have termed the Cow Head, Beaches, and Little Passage. The names derive from the location of sites where these complexes were […]Read More Unbroken – nearly 1500 years of Beothuk
In the second half of the 19th century, Bishop Mullock had five stone churches built, one each in Ferryland, Torbay, Kilbride, St. Kyran’s, and Blackhead. According to an article in an 1862 edition of The Record a newspaper published in St. John’s, he attended the one-year anniversary of the dedication of the church in Blackhead […]Read More All roads lead to the Blackhead stone church?
During the summers of 1973 and 1974 Dr. Robert McGhee and Dr. James Tuck, both then professors at Memorial University of Newfoundland, surveyed a large portion of the southern Labrador coast from the Quebec/Labrador border up to Red Bay. They found or relocated 13 sites including a number of important archaeological sites such as the […]Read More Wrinkle